Translate

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Most Noble of American Patriots

By Mark Alexander · Thursday, November 10, 2011



Veterans Day 2011: A Tale of Two Marches
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --John Stuart Mill
Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis.
Across our nation, there is a sharp division between two groups of Americans marching to very different drummers.

I am not referring to the current politics of disparity promoting class warfare between the 35 percent of statists (dependents who label themselves "99 Percenters"), and the other 65 percent who are hard-working and self-reliant American citizens. The former are busy fomenting socialist protests in urban centers across our nation while the latter are busy working and caring for their families and communities.

Rather, the division I note is made plain by the vivid contrast in character between two groups -- those on the frontlines in defense of Liberty versus those who seek to subvert it.

On the right side of Liberty, we have American Patriots in uniform who, since the dawn of our great nation, have put their lives, fortunes and sacred honor on the line "to Support and Defend" the Liberty enshrined in our Constitution.

On the wrong side of history, we have Leftist cadres loyal to Barack Hussein Obama, who seek to supplant republican Liberty and its principle expression of free enterprise with socialist democracy. Although the so-called "99 Percenters" are marching to Obama's beat, their protests are trivial compared to the endemic threat to Liberty posed by the rest of the Leftist hegemony in control of our central government.

Could the contrast be any starker?



The threat of Obama's minions notwithstanding, I am greatly encouraged, especially on Veterans Day, by the fact that American Liberty is defended, first and foremost, by the current generation of Patriots within our Armed Services, and the plurality of citizens who support them. It is fitting that we would reverently honor those whom, for generations, have sought to defend Liberty.

Veterans Day began as Armistice Day, when on 11 November 1921, the remains of an unknown World War I American soldier were buried in Arlington National Cemetery, in recognition of WWI veterans and the official cessation of WWI hostilities "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918. President Warren Harding requested that "All ... citizens ... indulge in a period of silent thanks to God for these ... valorous lives, and of supplication for His Divine mercy ... on our beloved country." Inscribed on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are the words, "Here lies in honored glory an American soldier known but to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment